King County Protection District No.16 was officially formed on October 15, 1942, when the Board of County Commissioners declared a proposition by the voters had been approved. In 1948, the areas of Sheridan Beach and Lake Forest Park voted to annex into the fire district.
When first formed, the entire fire department consisted of dedicated volunteers who lived within the service area. The first fulltime employees were hired from the ranks of the volunteers. The first fulltime employee was Fire Chief Robert Banister and the first fulltime firefighter was Les ‘Bud’ Eaton.
On September 3rd, 1975, the group of seven fulltime firefighters joined the International Association of Firefighters, forming Local 2459. The department continued to function with a combination of volunteer and fulltime firefighters up until 1994. Since 1994 the department has been staffed entirely with fulltime professional firefighters.
When initially formed, the fire district was known as “The Kenmore Fire Department.” However, by the mid 1990’s the fire district recognized the name wasn’t representative of its service area (Kenmore and Lake Forest Park) and changed its name to the “Northshore Fire Department.”
Since its inception in 1942, the mission of the Fire Department and its members has been to provide quality service to the community.