Home Address Visibility
POST YOUR ADDRESS
Residential & Commercial Requirements
Why Are Addresses so Important?
- An accurate and easily visible address is a vital element in locating a home or business rapidly in an emergency requiring fire, life and/or safety services.
- In an emergency, precious seconds or minutes could be lost if police, fire or rescue personnel are unable to identify an address properly.
- When someone has a heart attack or a house fire, MINUTES make a difference! Firefighters and paramedics depend on clearly marked address numbers when responding to emergencies.
- Address numbers facilitate rapid response by police to an incident that can possibly save a life or prevent a crime from being committed.
- A clearly marked address also promotes efficient mail and parcel delivery and prevents confusion in locating businesses and residences.
- The International Fire Code requires that all residential and commercial buildings have approved address numbers.
What The Code Requires
- Address numbers shall be placed in a position that is plainly legible and visible from the street or road fronting the property.
- Address numbers shall contrast with their background.
- Address numbers/letters shall be Arabic numerals or alphabet letters. Numbers/letters shall be a minimum of 4 inches high with a minimum stroke of one-half inch.
Where Should Address Numbers Be Posted?
- Address numbers must be posted in a conspicuous place over or near the principal entrance. If the entrance cannot be easily seen from the nearest adjoining street, the address numbers must be placed in another conspicuous place on the house or building so that the address numbers can easily be seen from the nearest adjoining street.
- If the home cannot be easily seen or is greater than 50 feet from the nearest adjoining street, the address numbers must be placed on a portion of the site that is clearly visible and no greater than 20 feet from the street.
- Numbers must either be illuminated during periods of darkness, or reflective, so they are easily seen at night
- While painting address numbers on curbs is a useful means of identification, your primary means of posting addresses should be on your home or business because parked cars can block your curb numbers.
Where Can I Find Address Numbers?
- You can buy address numbers at any home improvement or hardware store. Many sign companies listed in the Yellow Pages have sources for home, business or building address numbers. Using a search engine on the Internet for “Address numbers” also provides options.
- If You Share A Private Driveway With Several Homes…
- Post all house numbers at the entrance to the driveway and be sure to post numbers at the front entrance to each home.
- If the road splits off into different directions, post a directional sign to indicate where each address is located.
Click here for a printable flyer on Residential & Commercial Addressing Requirements